To make (10-12) citrus laced quinoa cakes
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- ½ cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- ¼ cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 cups cooked quinoa, I used multi-colored but any kind will work
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Finely grated zest of 2 medium lemons
- 3 tablespoons grape seed oil or olive oil
For the creamy lemon vinaigrette
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- ¼ cup parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate vinegar
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- pinch of cayenne
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
Assemble the salad
- 2 Taylor Farms Salad kits with mini bells sliced thin
- 1 medium jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 (7-ounce) package Greek feta in brine, sliced into bite sized pieces
Make the quinoa cakes
- Coarsely chop the garlic in a food processor. Add the parsley and basil then pulse until finely chopped. Add the chickpeas and 1 teaspoon coarse salt and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Ina large bowl combine the chickpea mixture with the quinoa, Parmesan cheese, eggs and lemon zest until well combined. Spray a ¼-cup measuring cup with cooking spray, then press the quinoa mixture into the measuring cup, smooth the top, and invert to release the cake onto a plate. Repeat with the remaining millet mixture. You should have about 10-12 cakes.
- Heat 1-1/2 Tbs. of the grape seed oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering hot. Add 4 or 5 of the cakes and use a spatula to gently flatten the cakes so they’re about ¾ inch thick. Cook, flipping once, until crisp and golden brown on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Add the remaining 1-1/2 tablespoons grape seed oil to the skillet and cook the remaining cakes the same way.
Make the dressing
- Combine the red onion, parsley leaves, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, zest and cayenne in a food processor and pulse until combined. Add the olive oil and pulse to combine. Add the sour cream, season with salt and pepper and process for 30 seconds until creamy.
Assemble the salad
- Arrange the Salad kits on large platter and top with the sliced mini bells, marinated artichoke hearts and Greek feta. Serve with the prepared dressing and quinoa cakes on the side.
This recipe originally appeared on Beard + Bonnet.