- 3 yellow onions
- 2 tbsp butter (use dairy free to keep these vegan)
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 packages of Butternut Squash
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and slice the onions and set them aside.
- Next, heat butter and oil in large skillet over medium heat and then add the onions. Stir in the onions until they’re coated with oil, and then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer onions for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they’re soft and translucent.
- Place squash in a large pot and fill the pot with water. Cook squash over the stove on high heat until they’re soft.
- Drain the water and then use a potato masher or a fork to mash the squash until it’s smooth.
- Next, stir in the cooked caramelized onions and any leftover oil by hand, along with the salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy of The Almond Eater.