- 16 oz broccoli pearls
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 3/4 – 1 cup panko
- 2 tbl fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Pinch crushed red pepper (optional)
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Steam the broccoli pearls according to package directions, and set aside to let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the steamed and cooled broccoli bits, egg, cheddar, panko, parsley, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and crushed red pepper. Mix together until fully combined.
- Scoop about 1 1/2 tbl of broccoli mixture into the palm of your hand, and squeeze with your hand to mold into a long cylinder. Press down on the edges with your other hand to form a rectangular tot shape. If mixture is falling apart in your hands and not sticking, add 1/4 cup panko to the bowl and mix.
- Shape each tot and arrange on a baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.
- Brush the top of each tot with olive oil. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 – 22 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom, rotating the tray halfway through. Serve with ketchup or dipping sauce of choice!
Recipe courtesy of Madeline Hall.