“The Move” – Five Things You May Not Know
November 19th, 2018
As most people are preparing for Thanksgiving, our Taylor Farms team is busy preparing for our semi-annual move, where we do the unimaginable and transition our entire vegetable production facility 550 miles – from Salinas, California to Yuma, Arizona!
Here are 5 things you may not know about “The Move”:
- Why move? As a source-based supplier, we follow mother nature as the veggie growing season transitions each winter from California’s Central Coast to Yuma, Arizona. We strategically move our facility close to our growing base to ensure quality and freshness of product.
- Over 200 people are involved in “the move”, which includes a diverse group of department leaders from our maintenance, production, engineering, shipping and food safety teams.
- 56 Hours – The time it takes to pull apart and put back together all our facility’s equipment (which also includes the 10-hour drive to get the machines to their Yuma location).
- We move 1400 tons of equipment with 140 flatbeds!
- “The Move” has environmentally friendly benefits, reducing the amount of food miles our raw product travels – saving about 445 trucks off the road, 650,000 gallons of gas and 4 million food miles each move!